Monday, October 4, 2010

Just Bragging :)


I know it's (supposedly) not good to brag and all..... but when you've got this much talent... why not???? We've got an artist in the house! In our homeschool curriculum there is a list of 5 or 6 seatwork items that the student needs to complete each day. For some lessons the last item on the list is to draw a zoo animal or favorite pet... I enjoy this so much that I put this on the list EVERY day (whether the curriculum calls for it or not). I make up my own 1 or 2 word theme and he can interpret that however he wants... The "rainbow" day resulted in the Noah's Ark picture, complete with Noah and the alter. The "house" day resulted in our house complete with the HUGE oak tree, Sam's bedroom window, and 3 little faces peeking out the front window (a common sight around here, especially in the winter when they love to watch the snowflakes fall). I just love to see how he will interpret and embellish that one word each day... and he really looks forward to finding out what that word is.... BONUS!

School has had it's ups and downs but, overall, it's going pretty well. Some days Sam can stay really focused and finish up by lunch time, but other days it's not till 3 in the afternoon. The latter are very hard for me. That leaves very little cleaning, cooking, playing, or basically anything besides school time. I get really grumpy on those days! Last Thursday was one of those days, and I finally had to just call a stop to school for the day and we saved the rest for Friday. He was able to get the remainder of Thursdays lessons as well as all of Fridays done by noon. Imagine that!!! Sam is an amazingly quick learner and has gotten As on both his math tests and phonics tests and a B+ on his writing test. His cursive is really good... I think he got the Weller handwriting genes.

We spend a lot of time outside each day, really enjoying the beautiful fall weather while it lasts. We've had picnics out there every day this past week. And, I've been having Sam run around the playground and count his laps or do laps back and forth between the neighbors fences... that counts as Math and P.E. right? :) Today I even let him do his handwriting out at the picnic table under the fort... with the promise that he would do his very best or he wouldn't be allowed to ever again.... It was nearly PERFECT!

Aaron is officially one of the big boys now... we moved him upstairs to join the boys, and it's going well... so far anyway. He loves his big boy bed :)


And, Adalie got to wear her first ponytail.... I know it's a little early for this, but I just couldn't resist. She is such a doll... as you can see I couldn't stop at just one photo. She is developing quite the personality these days. I LOVE it!

Hope you all have a wonderful night...
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Daniela said...

Well done, Sam!!!
Kim-e, I just am amazed how you get all this done with 4! I can't even get dinner on the table some nights, and I only have one!
I LOVE Adalie's pony tail! :) Been thinking about doing the same to Savannah, since she's got quite a mullet going as well... :) Your daughter is so beautiful!
Glad you all get to enjoy fall!
Love you guys!

Christa Forsythe said...

You can brag all you want... I will read it! Thanks for sharing the words and pictures. You should frame Sam's work.. .it is amazing. I have Ethan's drawings hung up on all the walls. I just love kid's art!

Cute ponytail.. too!

David said...

Sam has amazing abilities! God has blessed him with so much talent! Love all the photos of the kids! They all are so dear!

Unknown said...

Cute pictures! The jeans under sweatpants is a very bold look...It may catch on soon and be all the rage, who knows?! ;o) Also...which curriculum do you use? I'm doing preschool with Preston this year and using a variety: some ABeka, some Kumon, and a book I got at the Crayola store. I am always curious what other homeschooling Mom's use.