Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Family Art Night

Since becoming the art teacher for 12 K4/K5 homeschoolers, I've had art projects continually in the back of my mind. I am always trying to think up some great idea that would be fitting for these little guys. The age range in the class is so close yet it seems their abilities are so very different. While many can follow directions pretty well, others must be guided every step of the way. I have one boy that must be "helped" the whole way through his art project or he'll destroy it within seconds... honestly, you can't turn your back for even a moment. At the last class, we had to start his over several times because he kept cutting it into tiny bits and pieces. We'll see how it goes this time around... no scissors involved :)

Anyway... all that to say we've been doing a little bit of art around here. I am trying out each project on Sam and Seth beforehand because I figure if a 3 and 6 year old can do it, surely 4 and 5 year olds can.... right?!! Hmmm... not really, but it sure is fun! This Friday we will be doing paintings inspired by one of Kandinsky's color studies... No, I'm not really a Kandinsky fan, but I do love the color, and I think Kindergarteners can pull it off just as well as he.... if not better. So... after dinner (Adam grilled some absolutely mouth watering burgers... so delish!) I declared it "Family Art Night." I'm thinking we should have these nights regularly... it was fun!
The Finished Products

******
And, this just cracked me up.... Seth has been playing with this cooler, filling it up and carrying it all over with him, since our field trip last Friday.
Well, today he came out and declared "Mom, I'm a BIG BUTT SEAHORSE!"
Boy, you just never know around here, but it sure cracked me up. :)

1 comment:

Donovan Doins said...

Hate to say it, J would be the cut it up and destroy it artist. Maybe you should come give us some lessons.