Friday, April 9, 2010

When I grow up...

I want to be an ARTIST!


At least this is what he wants to be for now... I know it'll change a million times over between now and then. It's fun to ask them because it changes on a daily basis. It's especially fun to ask Seth because he comes up with some pretty funny ones.... such as an alien or most recently Santa Claus :)

This year at Homeschool Co-op, the focus has been on Careers. We've had several different special guests come in... a potter, an electrician, a secret service man, an Army officer, a missionary, and we've toured a police station. So today for our last official co-op, each student had to present what they wanted to be when they grow up. Samuel was an artist and he did very well on his very short little speech. He wants to be an artist because "I love making things, painting, coloring, and making sculptures with clay. I really like to use my imagination." Well, he definitely does, and he's very good at it!

I have been teaching the K4/K5 arts and crafts class this past semester. It has been really fun. Today for our project we made Japanese Kites. The kids really had fun making them... though I was nearly pulling my hair out by the end. I guess it's the weather warming up or something, but they were WILD and very ANTSY today! The Japanese have a special holiday in May called Children's Day in which they hang out colorful Carp Kites. Carp are fish that are very strong and healthy... they swim upstream so they must have a lot of endurance. The Japanese chose the Carp to celebrate Children's Day because these were qualities they want their children to grow to possess. They want them to grow into successful, strong and healthy people, able to go against the tide... which is something we all want for our kids. Soooo... today we had our own Children's Day and flew our Carp Kite, and it was such a beautiful day for it. Samuel (my budding artist) did a very good job making it. In fact, we just might have Children's Day for several more days... as long as the sun is shining, that is.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Christa Forsythe said...

K - you are such an awesome, creative mom!

Donovan Doins said...

Did you make Sam's hat? Too cute. I am sure that even if he is not an artist, he will use art somehow in his life. I think it is in the genes.

Kimelou said...

Yeah, had to make him a hat... it was super easy... found some instructions online and whipped it up in just 20 minutes. I hope our kids are creative... it's not something that comes naturally to me... have to really work at it.