Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Simple Christmas


Samuel recently had a family project that we had to complete for school. It was to make a Christmas Poster with different traditions that your family celebrates. It was tough coming up with traditions... we have a very simple Christmas around here, nothing huge or fancy... just laid back and SIMPLE.

We always have powdered doughnuts and egg nog for breakfast... that's one breakfast of the year that I get absolutely no complaints about. We always read the Christmas story from Luke during breakfast... this year, however, Sam did the reading from his Bible. And, of course, I have to always take a family photo (to the chagrin of all my children). I guess those can be called traditions...

Presents are definitely the big thing of the day. Adam and I try and take it slow and let the kiddos enjoy each gift and be thankful for everything... even the clothes! We have been so blessed and receive way more than we need. I really want our kids to appreciate those things and the hard work it took to receive them. We had to pause and remind them several times throughout the day that Christmas was not just about them and the presents they receive... such a hard thing for them to remember in the midst of all the excitement.

All-in-all it was a really good day!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Donovan Doins said...

I LOVE simple Christmas. We were the same way, having to remind James about the true meaning of Christmas,reminding him that gifts are given with thought and thankfullness is the best gift. (It is so difficult to impart that when there is a pile of "just what I wanted" under the tree.)

David said...

My favorite kind of Christmas!

David said...

I also remember how fun the wrapping paper tube fights were also!