Friday, December 31, 2010

Todays Activity

While Sam and Seth were watching Frosty the Snowman this morning (for about the 20th time this month!) Aaron and I decided to tackle our own little project.... RECYCLED CRAYONS!

He had a great time helping me unwrap little crayon bits... unfortunately, he's a pro at that. My kids are not so anal as I was as a kid. I hated to break a crayon and when the time came to peel one, I did so very carefully so as to peel it nice and straight and only as much as needed. Nope, my kids didn't inherit an ounce of my perfectionist ways and are quickly ridding me of mine. I am learning that things like this really don't matter in the long run... but I definitely struggle with this every day. My boys are constantly breaking things. Anyway, enough about that....

I found this Wilton baking thing at Goodwill the other day and just knew I needed it for this very purpose... I have had this project in the back of my mind for a few months now. We just put several bits into each star, trying to follow a color theme somewhat, and put them in the oven at 225 for 15 to 20 minutes. How easy is that? I was worried they wouldn't come out of the pan well, but they just popped out very easily. It was a perfect craft project to do with Aaron. It was so cute to watch him run to the oven every few minutes to peek at his stars... he was thrilled!



And here's my little girlie modeling her Christmas clothes... I am a sucker for stripes I guess. Note the little hair barrette as well. So cute!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Christa Forsythe said...

Love, love, love the star idea. I have seen them melted in muffin tins and have put that in the back of my mind as I collect bits and pieces of broken crayons... my kids don't mind destroying them either ... *sigh* I don't either of them are very interested in the artistic way of life... another *sigh* I will keep trying though! I will definitely copy this idea... I love it!