Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kid Friendly Recipe

Okay, so here is a recipe that goes amazingly well in our house. It is AMAZING, mainly because I have 2 boys that aren't huge meat fans. In fact, I really don't cook meat on it's own. I always chop it up and put it into something (pasta, tacos, pizza, etc.) because I'm not really a huge meat fan myself. I do make an exception for anything my AMAZING hubby grills because he just has this ability to make it taste so good! I have definitely never been a fan of meatloaf. I always thought it was slimy, greasy, and yucky until I found this recipe...

Kraftfoods Family Classic Meatloaf
1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 can tomato soup
1 pkg. Stove Top (6 oz.)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 c. chili sauce

Preheat oven to 350. Mix meat, 1/2 c. soup, stuffing, egg, onion, and thyme. Press evenly into 8x4 loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 55 minutes. Heat remaining soup with chili sauce. Spoon over meatloaf before serving.

I made it like this a few times and it was pretty good, but then I came up with these improvements...

Mix about 1/3 cup of ketchup into the meat mixture (instead of the soup).
Use only half an onion and chop it super finely (so hopefully Seffer's won't be able to find and pick out each individual piece... yes, he really does this!)
For the topping, mix approx. half a cup of ketchup with a couple tablespoons mustard and put it on the top of the loaf and return it to the oven for another 5-10 minutes... tangy and yummy.
Lastly, make 7-8 huge meatballs rather than one large loaf. That way you can pour off the fat during cooking and there are more edges to get crispy... there is nothing worse than soggy, greasy meatloaf to me.

Serve them with ketchup...


Aaron was a little nervous about this meal, but he proceeded to devour his little meatball as well as another big one.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Donovan Doins said...

I think the boys at our house will love this. Will give it a try!

David said...

We will definitely try this...it sounds like a recipe to put into the grandchildren's favorites collection.